Your shopping cart is empty.
Have you ever looked at a painting in a gallery and wondered what the BACK might look like?
Are you an artist wondering how to properly stretch a canvas?
I've just been commissioned to create a very large painting. There are 3 canvas panels each measuring 6 feet by 4 feet. However, before I can begin the creative part of the project, there's a lot of preparation involved.
Here's a step-by-step list of how I stretch my canvas and fold the corners.
My method also stiffens the canvas enough to work with robust mixed-media.
1. Build the heavy duty stretcher bars and glue the joints. Be sure to brace the frame every two feet at least.
2. Cut the canvas to size, leaving about 3-4 inches all around to wrap cleanly over the frame.
3. Stretch the canvas tight and staple. Move back and forth to opposite sides every foot or so to keep tension balanced.
4. Leave about 6 inches on either side of the corners.
5. Fold the corner at 45 degrees and cut off a triangle to reduce bulk.
6. Tighten, fold and staple one side at a 45 degree angle. See the video.
7. Tighten, fold and staple the other side at 90 degrees. See the video.
8. After finishing, flood the canvas with watered gesso to soak into the canvas. When dry the canvas will be tight as a drum.
9. Apply several coats of gesso / primer and/or texture medium to stiffen the surface for mixed media.
10. Personally, I also prime the back of the canvas with a thick layer of gesso, for even more stability.
Peace - Shirley
The presence of this badge signifies that this business has officially registered with the Art Storefronts Organization and has an established track record of selling art.
It also means that buyers can trust that they are buying from a legitimate business. Art sellers that conduct fraudulent activity or that receive numerous complaints from buyers will have this badge revoked. If you would like to file a complaint about this seller, please do so here.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this business has provided a returns & exchanges policy for all art purchases.
Full Refund Policy - Please refer to FAQ for complete details.
The Art Storefronts Organization has verified that this Art Seller has published information about the archival materials used to create their products in an effort to provide transparency to buyers.
All materials, canvas, paper, paints and mixed media is 100% Professional Quality Archival.
This is only visible to you because you are logged in and are authorized to manage this website. This message is not visible to other website visitors.
Click on any Image to continue
Below, select which favorite lists you would like to save this product into.
You'll receive Updates, Discounts, Behind-the-Scenes Info & Event Invitations.